Select an image to enlarge it and read about its toxicity level and potential side effects to pets. For a broader list, visit PetPoisonHelpline.com’s section on poisonous plants.
PEACE LILY: This plant can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest. Photo courtesy of thenewecologist.com.
ENGLISH IVY: Also called California ivy, this plant can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea. Photo courtesy of ASPCA.org.
POINSETTIA: According to ASPCA, this plant isn’t as toxic as rumors suggest, but it is still harmful to pets. In reality, poinsettia ingestions typically produce only mild to moderate gastrointestinal tract irritation, which may include drooling, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Photo courtesy of missionlanguagelab.blogspot.com.
CHRYSANTHEMUM: This plant, which has a storybook named after it, may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if eaten. In certain cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed. Photo courtesy of houseoflowers.com.
YEW: This plant contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death. Photo courtesy of meanderingwa.blogspot.com.
OLEANDER: This plant can cause gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death. Photo courtesy of treknature.com.
SAGO PALM: This evergreen plant is poisonous and the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of toxin. Side effects of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure. Photo courtesy of blythewoodpalms.com.
LILIES: This plant is highly toxic to cats. Ingesting even a very small amount of the plant can cause severe kidney damage. Photo by Charles Cazabon | pyropus.ca.
AUTUMN CROCUS: Ingestion can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression. Photo courtesy of nybg.org.
TULIPS: The bulbs contain toxins that cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities. Photo courtesy of largepictures.net.
AMARYLLIS: This Easter plant favorite contains toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors. Photo courtesy of lettuceshare.com.
CYCLAMEN: The most toxic part of the plant is in its root. Cyclamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases. Photo by kakki**** | Flickr.
MARIJUANA: Ingestion can result in depression of the central nervous system, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma. Photo courtesy of popdecay.com.
AZALEAS: This flower contains grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse. Photo courtesy of wirosableng2121.blogspot.com.
PATHOS: If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract. Photo courtesy of mahoneysgarden.com.